Unit Of Genetics And Biotechnology
Activity goals and directions:
- The coordination of the conservation, documentation and research on horticultural crop genetic resources, research on genetic resources using molecular markers, evaluation of genetic diversity.
- The development of scientific and theoretical basis for research on fruit crop heredity mechanisms and characterisation of breeding material by applying molecular genetics methods.
- The development of scientific and theoretical basis for introduction of molecular genetics methods in breeding, the development and application of economically significant characteristic identification methods in breeding.
Gunārs Lācis, Ph.D., head of unit, leading researcher (genetics, plant molecular biology)
Līga Lepse, Dr. Agr., leading researcher (tissue cultures)
Toms Bartulsons, M. Biol., assistant (plant molecular biology)
Kristīne-Krista Lejniece, M. biol., assistant
- State Research Programme "AgroBioRes" 2nd project "Biological processes influencing sustainable fruit growing and widening possibilities for use of by-products" (2014 - 2017) (project leader I. Moročko-Bičevska).
- Collaborative research project with Latvian Council of Science "Scientific and technological developments for sustainable cultivation and comprehensive use of sea buckthorn" (2014 - 2017) (project leader D. Segliņa).
- Research funded by the Latvian Council of Science "Studies on inheritance and diversity of apple and pear resistance to scab and characterization of races and population diversity of causal organisms – Venturia inequalis and Venturia pyrina" (2013 - 2016) (project leader G. Lācis).
- Ministry of Agriculture project No. 110314/S38 “Evaluation of apple and raspberry breeding material for the introduction of integrated agricultural crop growing technologies” (project leader S. Strautiņa).
- Institute of Biology of University of Latvia - quantitative genetics methods application
- Genetic Resource Centre of Latvian State Forest Research Institute "Silava" – molecular marker application, data analysis