Innovative, economically substantiated solutions to improve the efficiency of apple and raspberry production and fruit quality
Project leader: Pēteris Skrastiņš, Latvian Fruit-grower association
Project contact person of LatHort: Edgars Rubauskis
- Latvian Fruit-grower association (leading partner)
- Institute of Horticulture (LatHort)
- Latvia University of Life Sciences and Technology, Faculty of Agriculture
- Latvian Rural Advisory and Training Centre
- and SMEs: ZS "Gaidas", SIA "Daigone", ZS "Pīlādži", SIA “Very Berry”, ZS "Eglāji", ZS "Ziediņi"
Objective of project: to develop economically substantiated innovative, environmentally friendly solutions for reducing the costs of apple and raspberry growing and harvesting, and improving the quality of fruit for fresh consumption and processing, by bringing together a broad range of fruit-growing experts and industry companies.
As a result of the implementation of the project, for the first time in Latvia, commercial enterprises will be offered technological solutions of mechanisation for apple trees and raspberry growing, reducing costs and increasing production productivity.
For apple trees:
- mechanised formation of canopy with a view to minimizing hand work;
- mechanised thinning of flowers with a view to reducing labour costs and the biannual yielding;
- introduction of an adapted irrigation/fertilisation system in a hilly area, with a view to promoting a smooth humidity supply in the orchard and without creating risks of soil erosion.
- mechanised harvesting of berries for primocane raspberry grown in Latvia with a view to reducing hand work and costs;
- extended berry harvesting season using VOEN type coverings;
- selected varieties suitable for rapid freezing.
The new technological solutions will help improve the quality of apples and raspberries for fresh consumption and processing. For these crops, an economically reasoned knowledge base will be developed for the sector's holdings on the specificities, risks and side effects of applying new technological solutions, increasing the competitiveness of the sector, ensuring demand for Latvian apples and raspberries in the outlook, as well as promoting their exports.